Thursday, December 13, 2012

Women of a Certain Age



 
I recently celebrated a birthday and I find myself constantly thinking back to my younger years. Of those years the only words that I can use to describe myself are bold, adventurous and brave. Funny enough, it is those times that I prayed the most for boldness! As I get older, I have become more mild and calculated in my decisions.
 
I had the occasion to visit with a fairly new friend. We laughed and squealed with glee as we talked about our undergraduate years.  We bonded over our desires to make a mark on this world. We also bonded over our desire to create a household conducive to having an orderly family life. Though she was a few years my junior, I listened to her concerns and marveled at how similar our plight were. I realized that we were women of a certain age. Our priorities had shifted with time. We were shells of our former na├»ve selves, and even though we relished our youthful times, we did not mind the grace and dignity that time and age had afforded us. You can recognize women of a certain age because they are endowed with the wisdom to appreciate their past (the good and the bad). Women of a certain age have the ability to look back at their experiences and realize that more experiences and lessons will come.
 
As I left the gathering, I realized that though at times I lament the passing of my youth,  I continue to hold on to the opportunities that being a woman of a certain age has afforded me! To all Divas and Divos of “a certain age” out there, relish and treasure your time. Live and be in the moment!

4 comments:

  1. Great post.

    I read about you celebrating your birthday and had a random flashback of breaking into your house and leaving a bag of ceramic fairies in 07. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that! We were so crazy and fun in Law School, and I always enjoyed hanging out with you and your husband :-)

      Delete
  2. I reminisce about my younger years too and sometimes,I wonder at how grown and different I've become.... Happy belated birthday

    Nice post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the birthday wish. I bet you are now even more fabulous!

      Delete