Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Adventures of motherhood


I closed my eyes and when I opened them, my helpless infant who did nothing but eat, sleep and cry had become a strong willed and determined little girl, who chased and tormented our two little yorkies with her walker. It’s been nine short months since the addition of baby Z (aka baby Diva) to our family and we could not be any happier. She has added an element of fun and adventure to our family that we did not know was missing but have become accustomed to.

In the weeks that I spent at the hospital, I had limited contact with her. I worried that she would not remember me or that she would not know that I was her mommy. In the hospital, my most vivid memories of her were as a tiny helpless baby, just starting to discover the world around her.


Baby Z and I before our separation
photo courtesy of Mister Lule Photography

Upon my discharge from the hospital, I came home to an active and spunky little girl who instantly recognized me as her mommy.

Just when I thought that I had this mommy thing down to a science, little Z manages to switch everything up. Her personality is a perfect blend of her mommy and daddy. She has been guilty of giving people the side-eye (which everyone accuses me of) since the day she was born. Just like her father, nothing can deter her when she has her mind set on doing something. This little girl is a smart, stubborn, free-spirited firecracker. I never knew anyone could bring me such joy but she shows me a different side of love with each passing day. I enjoy seeing her personality develop. I love to hear her laugh. Her smile melts my heart and can brighten even the darkest of days.

                                                    
 Reunited and it feels so good!

I have accepted the fact that I am not the perfect mother. I try to be the best mother that I can be. I am her mother, and I am exactly who God chose to love, comfort, protect and teach her. Motherhood keeps me looking around the bend for more adventures to come!

   

1 comment:

  1. You don't have to be perfect to be a perfect parent.. I think you're doing it great :-)

    ReplyDelete